The Construct has many different tools and machines available for use. However, they are not all treated equally! Tools fall under the three categories shown below:
|These tools are available for everyone to walk in and use. Basic lab safety rules must be followed at all times.
- General shop tools,Drills
- drill bits and drivers
- Clamps, bench vices
- Hot glue guns, hot air gun, plastic cutter/bender
- Soldering/rework equipment, Electronics test equipment
- Files, sandpaper
|These tools may require some training to use them correctly. This may involve just reading a tutorial, or asking a lab manger to explain their use. This can be done in person with no appointment necessary.
- Flashforge Creator Pro 3D printers
- 3D scanners (Sense3D, NextEngine)
- Power woodworking tools (miter saw, belt sander, bandsaw, etc.)
- Drill press
- Metal tools (bench grinder, metal bandsaw, etc.)
|These tools require more extensive training. Training times must be scheduled with a lab manager, or during pre-scheduled training seminars. These tools are locked under swipe access, but can also be used by untrained people under the guidance and supervision of a lab manager.
Tool Use Policies
- Tools Don’t leave The Construct. This has been a rule since our humble beginnings, and will not be changing any time soon.
- Tools must be used for their intended purposes, and in a safe manner. we know walking back and forth to the toolbox is annoying, but no, that socket wrench is not a hammer. Use appropriate safety equipment, and make sure you have a clear, safe workspace before starting work.
- You are responsible for the tools you are using. That includes restricted access tools that you offer to another user. Doing so is allowed, but you need to ensure that the equipment is used correctly and is not damaged.
- If you break a tool accidentally, You are not in trouble! But please tell us! There are no automatic repurcussions for breaking equipment, and most of the time it’s not an issue at all. We just need to know, so that we can replace it.
- Power tools can only be used with a buddy in the room with you. Using power tools by yourself is not allowed.
- Spray paint and other Aerosolized sprays cannot be used in The Construct. We suggest users spray their parts in the spray booths provided by CIAS.
Safety is our main goal, and safety should be yours as well. Accidents can be avoid through the proper operation of tools and equipment.
- In the event of an injury or accident, no matter how insignificant it must be reported:
- Notify the lab director or a lab manager immediatlely (see contact us for contact info)
- Fill out the Student Accident Report (SAR Form) and give it to the active lab director/manager
- In the event of a life threatening injury or accident:
- Call RIT Public Safety: (585) 475-3333 (V/TTY) or text (585) 205-8333
- If RIT Public Safety cannot be reached, call 911
- One person must stay with the injured party until help arrives
- Inform the lab director if not present at email@example.com